Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blog #61: time after time

Sometimes I get frustrated that my internship takes so much of my time. Free time is not easy to come by for me these days and there are moments when I am pushed to the brink of tears because I want to go to a family gathering or spend time with friends but I can't because I have to see clients for my internship. Having so much of my time spoken for well in advance can be very discouraging at times. If this post were a drinking game, I'd take a shot every time (shot) I used the word time (shot). But it's not, because it's Wednesday  morning so settle down, you lush.

What I'm getting at here is that I made a commitment to getting my Master's degree that requires a sacrifice. For now it's not about what I want to do in the moment, but rather what I want to do with my life. I have to remind myself to think long term rather than short term. Even personal relationships must take a back seat to grad school, which I believe to be at least part of the factors in the loss of one of them. However, I am less than a year (7 months actually, if I were counting) from reaching my goal. Ultimately, that's what needs to be my priority right now. When I do graduate, I will get a whole new set of goals (licensure exam, move to Austin, job in the field, repay student loans) but for now I have one, and that is to graduate with a Master's degree and a cumulative 4.0 in graduate school.

This post was mostly a self reminder of why I do what I do. I'll come back and read it next time I have to turn down a weeknight or Saturday event because I'm working toward hours at my internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment