Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Blog #12: Hot Glue Gunning

Yesterday I spent a few hours making centerpieces for our office Christmas party. (Okay, so it's technically a "year-end gathering" but everyone knows what that means in non-terrorist speak, right?) (just kidding, I don't think everyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas is a terrorist. It was actually a 30 rock Christmas episode reference cunningly placed in a way that makes me look cool and hip) Anyhow, I spent a few hours making some centerpieces for our office year end gathering, and it got really intense. There I was, elbow deep in greenery, ornaments, pine cones, and candy canes armed with only a hot glue gun doing my best to create something with at least a modicum of style for our tables. It's been a long time since I've done this kind of work. To be honest, it's a big step for me. I've been really nervous about making homemade decorations ever since I was 16 helping out with my little sister's 4th birthday party. My poor, naive, 16 year old soul fashioned balloons into what can only be described as an... unfortunately phallic shape. I didn't notice until my brother said to me, "Riss, you know what these look like, right?" I pretended to be disgusted at his dirty mind but was really just mortified. None of the 4 year olds noticed but my brothers and the parents around got a chuckle out of it and I was incredibly embarrassed. Ever since then, I've avoided making things for fear that they would be inadvertently dirty in nature, and that's what was in the back of my mind for the duration of my centerpiece designing. Hopefully, 10 years worth of life experiences are enough to guard me against making the same kind of mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment