Friday, April 15, 2011

Blog #52: TGIF and I mean it.

It's been a rough week and I'm not just saying that in the whiny "first full week after a vacation" kind of way.

I don't mean I've had a miserable, awful week. I mean I've had a rough week. Like, physically draining. I'm proud of myself for making it through.It all started Monday (as they usually do.) I did NOT want to go to my Research Design class. I thought all day about how much I dreaded sitting for two hours in a class that is so ridiculous to me that I feel almost physical pain when enduring it. However, I had resigned myself to my fate as I left work, head down in defeat to go to class. A couple minutes into my drive, I realized that I was going the route that I take to go home or to internship, not school. It must have been some sort of survival instinct or my subconscious's last ditch effort to avoid class. However, I was strong and corrected my error. I turned around and headed back the other way, casting longing looks in my rearview mirror. THEN I got to the highway that I always take to school and the on ramp was closed. I was beginning to think the universe was trying to tell me something. So, I somehow ended up going North AGAIN instead of South to school and was right back where I had turned around initially. At this point, it took every OUNCE of will power to correct my path. All in all, it took me approximately an hour and a huge amount of effort to make the 25 minute drive to a class that I don't even like.

Tuesday was Solace House which I usually find rewarding, but an uncomfortable situation in group put me on high anxiety, which only heightened more when I returned my sister's call to find out my stepdad was in the hospital. Thankfully, it wasn't his heart (yet) but he had ruptured 2 discs in his back by trying to be a manly man and picking up a box of books that he had no business trying to pick up. With him hospitalized and my mom in Austin for her job, someone needed to stay the night with Madi. That someone was me. So, my typically late Tuesday was made even later. This continued throughout the week. Late nights. Staying not at my apartment. Early mornings. Zombie Marissa. It reached it's culmination last night when, as I was waiting for my mom to arrive from Austin (already delayed an hour because of the thundering/lightening/howling wind we were currently experiencing in KC) I got a call at 12:30 from a panicked mom, stranded on the side of the highway with a foreign cab driver and a flat tire. Unbelievable. I braved the storm to pick her up. So there we were, on the side of 435 at one in the morning in the middle of a storm. Why not? So, by the time I got her home and returned to my apartment, it was nearly 2am. I don't even know what time I finally fell asleep, I just know that I had very unchristian thoughts about the DJs on KLove as they were practically screaming in cheerfulness at me as my radio alarm went off at 5am.

So THAT's what I mean when I say I've had a rough week. Obviously, it was nowhere near as rough as my mom's week, or Terry's week, or even that poor cab driver's(who didn't seem to know how to change a tire) week. But rough, nonetheless. TGIF for reals, player.

No comments:

Post a Comment